Bernie Ecclestone has said that he won’t be setting up an F1-rivalling championship having been removed from his position by the new owners of F1.
It’s no secret that Bernie wasn’t particularly happy about being replaced, and rumours soon started that he’d be setting up another championship to rival F1 with the hope of attracting some of the top teams across to his new series.
The response today when an F1 luminary was asked privately how Mr E was doing: “He’s setting-up a breakaway series”. Don’t laugh.
— Peter Windsor (@PeterDWindsor) January 25, 2017
Ecclestone denied this in a statement he gave to Reuters: “I wish to clear up the rumours that I am starting a series to compete against the FIA Formula 1 World Championship. I have built the championship over the last near-50 years, which is something I am proud of, and the last thing I want is to see it damaged.”
Funny, because to the average fan it looks like he’s been doing nothing but damage it for sometime now. Bernie was quick to cover his tracks though, and claimed that everything he did was because that’s what he was told to do, not because it was what he actually wanted.
“The new owner of the company will be able to carry out the administration of the company in a different way to the way I had, which was to produce financial results for the shareholders, the normal actions of a chief executive.”
“I would have loved the luxury of what Chase Carey, the CEO, is able to do. I hope the F1 supporters appreciate this as Chase intends to put money back into the sport.”
Liberty Media have made all the right noises so far, and things look good for the future, but whether or not they’ll be able to follow through with their ideas is another matter. But Bernie says they’ll be good for F1, and Bernie never lies about anything. Right?