The future of the Italian Grand Prix at Monza has been a turbulent one, but thankfully there’s some good news to report, with a new deal being signed.
It’s one of the most historic and popular races on the calendar, with Monza hosting a race annually since the very beginning of F1 in 1950 (apart from 1980, when it was held at Imola while development work took place).
So, the fact that Monza could have been off the calendar for 2017 made a lot of people very angry and sad.
But thankfully, it’s short-term future has been saved. In August Monza chiefs said a new deal to 2019 had been reached and Bernie Ecclestone confirmed this over the Italian GP weekend.
But the finer details still needed to be finalised. Now they have been completed, with Monza announcing the news on Twitter.
It said: “The renewal of the contract for the [Italian Grand Prix] at Monza has been signed. Commitments kept, the Grand Prix of Italy remains at Monza for the coming years.”
— Autodromo Naz. Monza (@Autodromo_Monza) November 29, 2016
The contract is all locked down and F1 cars will be back speeding down the long straights of Monza for the next three years.
Beyond that, who knows what could happen, but we’re glad to see such a legendary and important circuit in F1 history secure its place on the schedule.
Next year’s Italian GP at Monza is set to take place on the 3 September.